Friday, May 20, 2011

"I AM A MAN."

So, I just came across this during some random internet cruising.. and I decided to share it because last night, in the book I'm reading, the chapter was solely based on this entire event. I feel like whenever I read something, it comes back at me right away. Shit is so fuckin' trippy that way.
Anyway, I wanted to bring this up because the caption that was under this picture was "Equality for men".. Which I found to be a little off. In the 50's and 60's, this march happened because of four little words. "I am a man". & THAT sentence was used to highlight white referring to blacks and browns and yellows, as "boy". Dudes would come back from wars in Korea and come back and be told, "Get in here, boy". & the only reason they were even fighting in wars in the first place is because that's the only "success" option the ghettos had.
The Memphis strikers are brave hearts, with amazing souls.. and more than that, they're men. So, do I believe in "I am a Man"? Totally. Do I agree with this being about equality? Yes, but it's so much more than that.

Martin Luther King is that dude. Go read some books.

0 COMMENT: